Thursday, February 9, 2012

Daedric sword

So I was playing a bit of skyrim and started looking at pictures of the swords when I discovered someone had made a replica of the daedric sword and I thought to myself "hey I want to make one of those" so I looked up all the materials and couldn't find the specific foam used for that sword but ended up settling for artist's foam board (5mm thick sheets). The process was quite simple and I had a lot of fun making it. The first part is cutting out all the shapes and layering them to get the basic design, then comes carving and sanding to get the edges, I ended up using quite a few coats of white primer to get rid of the bumps (paint, sand, paint, sand...). Lastly came the painting and clear coat to make it glossy.

I was pretty happy how this turned out, I did the handle differently to the original design because it seemed easier and this was the first time I had made something like this out of foam board.


Basic layers cut out (little bit of masking tape to hold together)
First person view
Adding another layer to the handguard with a small section carved out
Attaching the extra handguard layer
Carving out the parts on the outer part of the blade
The edges have been carved and sanded to give it a nice smooth edge
I painted a few layers of gesso primer then sanded it slightly to give a smooth undercoat, then sprayed with black spraypaint
Adding a few layers of detail paint until it has the right look, then I sprayed it with clear coat to give it a glossy look
Finished and all painted

No comments:

Post a Comment